Monday, June 15, 2009

Hey, You're just too spicy for me

Yesterday I made some absolutely delicious chipotle beef burritos. The only problem is that they are almost to spicy to eat! It was a slow cooker recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. After I had shredded the beef and made the burritos (adding my homemade salsa - a modified version of Erika's recipe) we were anxious to taste them. Well, the flavor was terrific but awfully spicy. And I usually like spicy foods. And the recipe didn't say anywhere that this dish would be particularly spicy.

Today at work I was telling Lori about last night's dinner and mentioned how confused I was about the spiciness of the dish. She laughed and asked how many chipotle peppers I put in. I explained that I thought maybe I was supposed to drain the peppers and not add the adobo sauce with all the peppers. That's when she pointed out to me that the recipe probably called for 1 "canned" pepper not 1 "can of" peppers. Well, if you take a look at the recipe you can see that yes, I was only supposed to add 1 -2 peppers out of the can. Not the whole can! To top it off, I also added a couple Serrano peppers to the recipe.

Anyway, the flavor is great and I'm sure that if you only add 1-2 chipotle peppers it would be edible without having your mouth on fire!

No comments:

Post a Comment